Monday, November 30, 2009

My First Opera...In English?

On Friday, November 20, I went to go see UNCG's school of music put on the fall opera: a modern mix of Gilbert and Sullivan's "Trial by Jury" and Mozart's "The Impressario." This opera was a whole new scene as compared to the one put on by the Greensboro Opera Company. For one thing, the opera was in English. I had no idea that there were operas written in English. I thought that operas were all Italian, but this performance of "Trial by Jury" and "The Impressario" both shattered that stereotype in an instant. There were still supertitles on a screen above the performers with the script written out, as it tends to be difficult to understand what words opera performers are singing no matter what language they are singing in. The second thing that I found completely different from my previous thoughts of opera was that it was a comedy. I had always thought that operas were tragedies - "La Traviata" had certainly added to that prejudice - so when I realized that what was happening on stage was both completely hilarious and incredibly ridiculous, not only was I amused, but I was slightly perplexed as well. However, I found the story line and actors incredibly entertaining. The first act was pretty much two soprano divas battling out over the main role because the prima dona - the main female role - was missing. Of course, as the first act finished, it had turned out that both divas had conspired and kidnapped the prima dona, at whose discovery this was revealed. The divas were, of course, arrested and the play the company in the opera was supposed to put on - "Trial by Jury" - was able to begin at the start of act two. I loved the entire opera; the singing was amazing and the acting was thoroughly entertaining. I would definitely love to see it again, especially if I would be able to go with someone besides myself; laughter always enjoys company.

No comments:

Post a Comment